Monday, August 17, 2009

the fishbowl effect

So i officially made it to my first discoteca, Scratch, two weekends ago and would like to share my experience…

the dance floor in scratch is in the center of the building and you have to walk down 3 stairs to get to it. So what do the men do?? They make a ring around the dance floor and observe the dancers. Chilean men never dance by themselves, so when they spot their bait on the dance floor, they make their way down through the crowd…fortunately I was in a group of like 8 girls – a substantial enough number of people so that when a man would come up and say ¨quieres bailar¨ we say ¨no gracias¨ and start dancing with other more intentionally…it was also my job to pull girls away from their partners if they were having a bad time (I would keep an eye on my fellow gringas and if they looked in distress I would just pull them away and dance with them). Oh dear! Good times.

But, it was truly amazing how much I felt watched the entire night! Because 1) it is obvious that we are ¨gringas¨ 2) there were like 8 girls in one group and 3) we had no men with us. Nevertheless, we returned this past Thursday and did it all again!

No comments:

Post a Comment