Monday, December 7, 2009

trip to Villa Alemana

so Sunday November 29 was my last Sunday at the church that I have been attending, CEMIPRE. it is amazing to feel like another chapter in my life is ending. my time at this church has been so sweet and I have been so blessed by attending.

after the service one of my friends, Lia, invited me over to her house on Tuesday. Lia, 30 yrs old, is one of 9 kids - Juan, one of her brothers, is a co-pastor at the church, Betsy, younger sister, plays the piano and sings, Gonzalo and her parents also attend the church. So i knew a good portion of the fam.

so tuesday comes around and i take the train/metro about 30 mins inland to Villa Alemana and Betsy picked me up. we then take a collectivo to their house. What i didn't realize is that they own a little supermercado, so we entered the supermercado and Gonzalo was behind the counter (that is when i realized it was their store), then we went through the mercado and out the back, and then i saw the dad making bread! he makes the bread (2x a day) that they sell in the supermercado. their house was attached as well and they have a huge backyard, swimming pool, and animals. Lia is an event planner and she hosts them in her backyard because she got a grant from the government (attempt to support entrepreneurship) to build a big pavillion thing and buy sound equipment, etc.
i was at the house from 2pm-11:15pm. a long day, but it didn't feel that way at all! i got to help bake bread in the afternoon, ate lunch, and helped babysit one of their granddaughters (daughter of the oldest son). The baby was 9 months old and a doll!!! i loved getting to play with her all day!! it was the first time that i had interacted with a baby in spanish! my spanish definitely improved this day because they did not understand any english nor words pronounced with a heavy gringa accento....

it was wonderful to share and get to know what "life in the country"is like here in chile and get to know a wonderful Christian family. they asked me "so are you going to come back and be a missionary too like John (the pastor of my church)?" and "are you going to come back and visit?" ah! it is weird too to think that i may never see them again. but who knows!

villa alemana, by Sarah Moredock

I'd like to share my Snapfish photos with you. Once you have checked out my photos you can order prints and upload your own photos to share.
Click here to view photos

No comments:

Post a Comment